Just because I need some external happiness injections today.* And also because Darren is hosting a “5 Things” Group Writing Project.
Have a bouncy happy Thursday!
- #5. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club Ok, so if you really pay attention to the lyrics of this song, it’s not really a happy song. It’s all about a breakup and feeling like you’ve been deceived. But the serious emotion is masked behind a snappy upbeat sing along chorus and blazing harmonica solo. And there’s nothing like singing about a crushing heartache with a smile on your face and a skip in your step. [audio:KarmaChameleon.mp3]
- #4. All for You by Sister Hazel Another not quite happy song, this one is at least hopeful. The lyrics convey the uncertainty of a couple staying together forever, but declare that the singer is doing everything he can to make it happen. I can’t help but sing along, and often I find that I have to listen to the song twice just so I can sing along with both harmony parts. Sister Hazel is one of my favorite bands and outside of this song, most people don’t know anything about them. That’s a shame. [audio:AllforYou.mp3]
- #3. Dancing Queen by ABBA A song about being a sweet and young cocktease out for a night on the town surrounded by hot sweaty bodies, flashing lights and thumping music. What’s not to love? Also it reminds me of the Movie Moment on Interstate 24 in Tennessee. You can dance! You can jive! You’re having the time of your life! [audio:DancingQueen.mp3]
- #2. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! Hey baby, let’s not fight… we’ll go dancing and everything will be all right! Day-Glo shorts, white gloves, and CHOOSE LIFE tee shirts notwithstanding, this song is almost the perfect pop song. Walk up to someone who is having a bad day, look them in the eye and say, “Jitterbug” and I guarantee that you will get a broad smile from them. Even if you are a dark and gloomy Depeche Mode and The Cure fanatic, you can’t deny the bright light of George Michael breaking your misery for three minutes and fifty-one seconds.** [audio:WakeMeUp.mp3]
- #1. Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves Can. Not. Sit. Still. This song causes an instant physical reaction. My feet won’t stop moving. My big ass bounces back and forth. My hands fly up in the air along with the horn stabs. I feel transported back to particularly good summer days as a pre-teen hanging out with my friends in the clubhouse and having absolutely no worries. This song can be considered the genesis of ska-like bands that came after them like Save Ferris and No Doubt. They all owe a debt to Katrina and the Waves and this exuberant song about having your love returned and confirmed. [audio:WalkingonSunshine.mp3]
So what songs make YOU insanely happy?
* Get your mind out of the gutter. Not that kind of happiness injection!
** Othurme told me a joke about this song: “I don’t understand how people didn’t know that George Michael was gay when Wake Me Up Before You Go Go came out. I mean, it’s right there in the lyrics, “You put your ball sack in to my mouth…”